[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu - Wrong Direction?

Alan Pope alan at canonical.com
Fri Dec 2 12:13:14 UTC 2011

On 02/12/11 12:01, Gareth France wrote:
> Much as I expected to hear Alan, however I firstly feel that this is a
> bad move, would it hurt them to have a range of POS display materials?
> Would it hurt them if every small retailer in the country was displaying
> these?

I can imagine the cost for such materials would be pretty high given how
many countries Canonical operates in, and how many languages Ubuntu is
available in.

 > And secondly I still don't know where I stand legally with using
 > the logo in my home grown leaflets cards and banners? Unless they
 > tell me how can I conduct business with any level of confidence?

The following page specifically details that you need a trademark license.

http://www.ubuntu.com/aboutus/trademarkpolicy

Starting at the section "Restricted use that requires a trademark licence".

"If you wish to have permission for any of the uses above or for any
other use which is not specifically referred to in this policy, please
contact us and we'll let you know as soon as possible if your proposed
use is permissible. Note that due to the volume of mail we receive, it
may take up to a week to process your request. "

Al.