[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu - Wrong Direction?

Gareth France gareth.france at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 12:01:55 UTC 2011

Canonical don't support individual retailers without partner agreements
(not that they do much if you are a partner) and they don't support end
users without support contracts.

> they do sell some level of support
> http://shop.canonical.com/**index.php?cPath=41<http://shop.canonical.com/index.php?cPath=41>
> http://shop.canonical.com/**index.php?cPath=31<http://shop.canonical.com/index.php?cPath=31>
>
> and importantly they have set up a global structure of Local Community
> teams, which this is one of. If you want to introduce Ubuntu to more than a
> hundred desktops (preferably a couple of thousand) then professional
> services team would be interested (give me a shout, I can put you in touch
> with the right people). If you are selling computers and want to
> pre-install Ubuntu then the OEM team might be interested if you are getting
> them made in volumes of tens of thousands or more in the far East. For less
> than that it is community based support through the LoCo team, and don't
> depend on fast responses from Canonical for anything.
>
> Alan

Much as I expected to hear Alan, however I firstly feel that this is a bad
move, would it hurt them to have a range of POS display materials? Would it
hurt them if every small retailer in the country was displaying these? And
secondly I still don't know where I stand legally with using the logo in my
home grown leaflets cards and banners? Unless they tell me how can I
conduct business with any level of confidence?