[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu - Wrong Direction?

Alan Bell alan.bell at libertus.co.uk
Fri Dec 2 09:00:54 UTC 2011

On 02/12/11 01:20, Ivan Wright wrote:
> I think they needed to move on and change style, we couldn't sit with a
> 1995 styled OS forever.
> What should be done is to do away with the six month development cycle,
> which is far too short for the amount of work needed on Unity. An 8-12
> month cycle would have been far better and allowed time for more bug
> fixes.
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases 10.04 is a supported release to 2013 on
the desktop and 2015 on the server. In April 2012 12.04 will come out
which will be supported for 5 years. It has been 2 years to get Unity
into a state where it can go into a release that will be supported for 5
years. Ubuntu has a 6 month cycle, with a 24 month cycle on top of that.
Various people have opinions on whether that is too long and there
should be a rolling release, other people feel it is too short and
should be a 12 month release, others feel it should be a "when it's
ready" release cycle like Debian. There simply isn't one right answer to
this, different projects and distributions have different release
policies, Ubuntu has predictable releases every 6 months with an LTS
every 24 months. In terms of allowing time for bug fixing, this cycle
the builds are *much* better than last time. Precise is really quite
use-able and functional, last time most of the accessibility testing was
crammed into the end when it started working at all. I would encourage
you to give Precise a test and file bugs (if you can't find any then try
booting from a live CD, press Ctrl+S at the first installer screen then
turn your monitor off and carry on using the screen reader).

Alan.

--
Libertus Solutions http://libertus.co.uk