[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu 10.04 Server text mode problems

Tyler J. Wagner tyler at tolaris.com
Mon Aug 22 09:16:50 UTC 2011

On 2011-08-21 20:51, Rob Beard wrote:
> I've just got a HP MicroServer which I am installing 64-Bit Ubuntu 10.04
> on to (I believe it was the 10.04.3 Server ISO I used).
>
> I just wondered if there was any way of tweaking it to get it back to
> bog standard VGA mode?

We probably have similar hardware - I just bought an HP ProLiant N36L.
It also has a Mobility Radeon HD 4200. Mine runs maverick, and has no
problems with the output to my HDTV. However, I only used that long
enough to install openssh-server.

It sounds like you want to disable kernel mode setting:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/KernelModeSetting

But do install openssh-server before you do anything else. You want a
network-based way to fix anything that goes wrong.

Regards,
Tyler

--
"To have a child is to give fate a hostage."
   -- John F. Kennedy