[ubuntu-uk] Borked my Mac installing Ubuntu 11.04, now blackscreens & beeps on restart then takes exactly 4 attempts to boot

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Sat Apr 30 08:04:25 UTC 2011

On 30 April 2011 08:10, Barry Drake <bdrake at crosswire.org> wrote:
> First, the advice around seems to be not to create any swap-space at all
> when using an ssd and to use the non-journalling ext2 format to increase
> limited ssd life.  (feel free to disagree).

I disagree.

SSD write lifetime is longer than you think.

http://www.storagesearch.com/ssdmyths-endurance.html

"We assume perfect wear leveling which means we need to fill the disk
2 million times to get to the write endurance limit.

2 million (write endurance) x 64G (capacity) divided by 80M bytes /
sec gives the endurance limited life in seconds.

That's a meaningless number - which needs to be divided by seconds in
an hour, hours in a day etc etc to give...

The end result is 51 years!"

Al.