[ubuntu-uk] Borked my Mac installing Ubuntu 11.04, now blackscreens & beeps on restart then takes exactly 4 attempts to boot

Barry Drake bdrake at crosswire.org
Sat Apr 30 07:10:53 UTC 2011

On Sat, 2011-04-30 at 01:55 +0100, doug livesey wrote:

> Then, I used the live CD & gparted to clear the 1st drive (the SSD),
> create the swap space, create the Ubuntu partition, and launch the
> install, where I used what I had just created on the SSD.
> The install completed okay (but with no option to select where the
> GRUB installer went, like some tutorials tell you to look out for).

First, the advice around seems to be not to create any swap-space at all
when using an ssd and to use the non-journalling ext2 format to increase
limited ssd life.  (feel free to disagree). In order to do this,  you
have to use the advanced install options (the bottom option) and these
do ask you where you want to put grub.  As part of the install, if you
put grub on the ssd, it ought to run 'update-grub' and find both os's
and let you have them OK.  My view is you would do best to have grub on
the same drive as the Ubuntu installation.  Not sure about mac, but you
have serious problems with Windows if you don't do that.

Regards,		Barry.

http://ubuntuadverts.org/