[ubuntu-uk] Will kernel problems in Maverick mean i have kernel problems in Natty?

James Morrissey morrissey.james1 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 08:46:19 UTC 2011

Hi all,

I tried posting this on the forums but had no luck. I was wondering if
anyone here could give me some advice.

My question is about installing Natty, given that i have had kernel
problems in Maverick.

My problem is that i have not been able to get any of the kernels
working for Maverick since 2.6.35-22. All of -23 - -28 have resulted
in my system randomly freezing up, with me not being able to find
anything in the file logs with which to report a bug (see:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1633453 &
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1683195).

I have managed to run 11.04 off a live USB without a problem, but i am
not sure if that means the kernel problems are resolved. For example,
i haven't meddled with my system as much when using the live USB so i
am not sure if some conflict might be happening with something i have
yet to try on 11.04.

So, some questions:

1. Are the problems i am having with the more recent kernels in
Maverick likely to have an impact in Natty?
2. If i install Natty and have problems, would i be able to install
the old 2.6.35-22 kernel and run Natty off that?
3. If 'no' to 2.; if i install Natty and have problems and thus seek
to reinstall Maverick, would i be able to do so off the old kernel, or
will my reinstall of Maverick mean that i only get the 2.6.35-28
kernel?

If anyone can help me out on this, or point me to a site with relevant
information, that would be great.

Thanks,

James