[ubuntu-uk] [marketing] The Picasa barrier, lower it.

alan c aeclist at candt.waitrose.com
Wed Apr 20 07:28:15 UTC 2011

I have just learned that Google has discontinued GNU/Linux based
support for Picasa although old versions are still available.

Why care? I do not use it myself, but I am full time involved in
helping newcomers move towards Ubuntu, inevitably they are Windows
users. Most want to change from Windows but are usually suspicious and
nervous, and it is a reassurance to them to find stuff such as
Firefox, Thunderbird, Libre/Open Office.

It helps a lot in the initial period  of change. In time, a newcomer
will begin to see things differently, not just from a 'Windows'
viewpoint. But that takes time.

What I have come to realise is that in the nature of things, these
people are really quite likely to be using Picasa!   In 'Windows
world', downloading one thing is very much like downloading any other.
And Picasa does useful stuff.

Installing a recent Picasa in (Ubuntu) is a bit of a fiddle now, and
the message from Google might be interpreted as
'Ubuntu is not worth it'

Picasa can, I believe, be installed using Wine, but to get good
integration into gnome or kde it needs to be installed over an earlier
legacy version. I think I have got that right. It is a bit of a
fiddle, and does not give a good message, to a newcomer to Ubuntu, or
to anyone.

What to do, to encourage Google to support (Ubuntu)?

They know how many *downloads* of the deb version they get dont they?
 From the Google site?

Please, go figure, as they say.
--
alan cocks