[ubuntu-uk] Losing wireless Connection - off topic

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Sat Apr 16 19:57:07 UTC 2011

On 16 April 2011 18:37, Graham Smith <myotistwo at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dave,
>

>> I've had a similar problem with my wireless connection getting slower and
>> slower, losing connection, resetting etc.
>>
>> The same laptop when running Win 7 didn't have the problem, other laptops
>> in the house didn't have the problem at the same time I was losing
>> connection.
>>
>> After a bit of playing around, I ended up changing channels on the router
>> and since then, no problems at all.
>
> Thanks, I will have a look at that, it maybe that something has changed
> recently, its worked fine for 2 - 3 years.
>
> When you say access points, do you mean something like next door getting a
> wireless network, which uses the same channel as my wireless network?
>
> If this was the case wouldn't I pick up the fact there was a wireless
> network in range? None are detected.

Have you checked with your router switched off, in case it is hiding
another network on the same channel?  Also there are other devises
that can use the same frequencies but do not show up (wireless CCTV
cameras for example) so it would not do any harm to shift to another
frequency as far away as possible from the current one just in case
this is the issue.

Colin