[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu 11.04 (Natty Narwhal) Beta 2 Released

Tim Powys-Lybbe tim at southfarm.plus.com
Fri Apr 15 11:31:44 UTC 2011

On 14 Apr at 21:25, Kate Stewart <kate.stewart at canonical.com> wrote:

> The Ubuntu team is pleased to announce the release of Ubuntu 11.04
> Beta 2.

<snip>

> To upgrade to Ubuntu 11.04 Beta 2 from Ubuntu 10.10, follow these
> instructions:
>
>   https://help.ubuntu.com/community/NattyUpgrades

On that site there are these instructions:

> 2. If you are upgrading from 10.10:
>    1. Open the Update Manager application from the System →
>       Administration menu.
>    2. In Update Manager, click the Settings... button, and enter your
>       password to start the Software Sources application.
>    3. Select the sub menu Updates from the Software Sources
>       application.
>    4. Check the "Release upgrade - Show new distribution releases"
>       drop down to make sure "Normal releases" is selected, and change
>       it if otherwise.
>    5. Close the Software Sources application and return to Update
>       Manager.
> 3. In Update Manager, click the Check button to check for new updates.
> 4. If there are any updates to install, use the Install Updates button
>    to install them, and press Check again after that is complete.
> 5. A message will appear informing you of the availability of the new
>    release.

I have got three all the above instructions except the last, number 5.
No Message appears, not even when I leave the machine on overnight.

I am running Ubuntu 10.10 on a VMWare partition on a Mac Pro.  I have
looked at the VMWare mailing lists to see if anyone else has had this
problem, but no mention.

I think this problem has been around on my machine for a couple of years
as I definitely remember being able to do version upgrades in the past.
More recently I have had to do complete fresh installs, losing
everything on my previous version.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Tim Powys-Lybbe                                           tim at powys.org
             for a miscellany of bygones: http://powys.org/