[ubuntu-uk] Very Off Topic - Apologies in advance.

Dave Hanson d.hanson at hotmail.co.uk
Thu Apr 14 20:03:58 UTC 2011


Thanks for the tips everyone.

I think I need to have a serious sit down and plan exactly how I'm going to go about it.

Best Regards

 

Dave Hanson




> From: ubuntu-uk-request at lists.ubuntu.com
> Subject: ubuntu-uk Digest, Vol 72, Issue 20
> To: ubuntu-uk at lists.ubuntu.com
> Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 15:47:19 +0000
> 
> Send ubuntu-uk mailing list submissions to
> 	ubuntu-uk at lists.ubuntu.com
> 
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
> 	https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-uk
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
> 	ubuntu-uk-request at lists.ubuntu.com
> 
> You can reach the person managing the list at
> 	ubuntu-uk-owner at lists.ubuntu.com
> 
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of ubuntu-uk digest..."
> 
> 
> Today's Topics:
> 
>    1. Re:  Please help with research ... (Andr?s Mu?iz Piniella)
>    2.  Very Off Topic - Apologies in advance. (Dave Hanson)
>    3. Re:  Very Off Topic - Apologies in advance. (Tyler J. Wagner)
>    4. Re:  Please help with research ... (Barry Drake)
>    5. Re:  Very Off Topic - Apologies in advance. (Philip Newborough)
>    6. Re:  Very Off Topic - Apologies in advance. (Simon Greenwood)
>    7. Re:  Very Off Topic - Apologies in advance. (Chris Wilson)
> 
> 
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> Message: 1
> Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 13:36:38 +0100
> From: Andr?s Mu?iz Piniella <andresmp at gmail.com>
> To: ubuntu-uk at lists.ubuntu.com
> Subject: Re: [ubuntu-uk] Please help with research ...
> Message-ID: <BANLkTi=GkV4xt-hz7WTEB+6RFe_xEY5sag at mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
> 
> One more question:
> 
> Should they use wubi, live cd or request install (backup, defrag)...
> 
> On 4/13/11, ubuntu-uk-request at lists.ubuntu.com
> <ubuntu-uk-request at lists.ubuntu.com> wrote:
> > Send ubuntu-uk mailing list submissions to
> > 	ubuntu-uk at lists.ubuntu.com
> >
> > To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
> > 	https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-uk
> > or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
> > 	ubuntu-uk-request at lists.ubuntu.com
> >
> > You can reach the person managing the list at
> > 	ubuntu-uk-owner at lists.ubuntu.com
> >
> > When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> > than "Re: Contents of ubuntu-uk digest..."
> >
> 
> 
> -- 
> Andr?s Mu?iz-Piniella
> 
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 2
> Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 15:28:42 +0100
> From: Dave Hanson <d.hanson at hotmail.co.uk>
> To: ubuntu-uk at lists.ubuntu.com
> Subject: [ubuntu-uk] Very Off Topic - Apologies in advance.
> Message-ID: <BLU0-SMTP49F9090C673B71C472A29CCDAD0 at phx.gbl>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"; Format="flowed"
> 
> Hiya Everyone,
> 
> I was wondering if might ask an off topic question please as I assume 
> that there are many people on this list who may do something similar?
> 
> I'm planning on doing some data recovery work from home when I finish my 
> degree (Computer Forensics Bsc), My plan is to promote myself through my 
> Wordpress powered blog (shameless plug: hansonforensics.co.uk). - It is 
> on an Ubuntu Server! ;)
> 
> I need some sort of ecommerce plugin for Wordpress which will allow 
> clients, and myself to upload large files (HDD Images, so I'm talking 
> GB's) and take payment from them for recovering their files and things - 
> Obviosly not every job would involve huge amounts of data, but some may.
> 
> The main problem is that I would prefer to take either the expected 
> amount in full and reserve it until the job is completed, with the 
> option of returning it to the client or take a small diagnostic fee in 
> advance and log what fee came from who/what job number.
> 
> Could anyone reccomend a plugin or perhaps share how they conduct such 
> transactions?
> 
> Thanks - And as I say, Apologies in advance for being off topic.
> 
> Dave
> 
> -------------- next part --------------
> A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
> Name: smime.p7s
> Type: application/pkcs7-signature
> Size: 2022 bytes
> Desc: S/MIME Cryptographic Signature
> URL: <https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-uk/attachments/20110414/3a3ba677/attachment-0001.bin>
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 3
> Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 15:45:34 +0100
> From: "Tyler J. Wagner" <tyler at tolaris.com>
> To: UK Ubuntu Talk <ubuntu-uk at lists.ubuntu.com>
> Subject: Re: [ubuntu-uk] Very Off Topic - Apologies in advance.
> Message-ID: <1302792334.2730.30.camel at baal>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
> 
> On Thu, 2011-04-14 at 15:28 +0100, Dave Hanson wrote:
> > I need some sort of ecommerce plugin for Wordpress which will allow 
> > clients, and myself to upload large files (HDD Images, so I'm talking 
> > GB's) and take payment from them for recovering their files and things - 
> > Obviosly not every job would involve huge amounts of data, but some may.
> 
> I don't think you'll be able to accept such large files. Is the PHP
> upload size limited by available RAM? Even if not, even a typical disk
> image is 250 GB these days, and the smallest harddrives people still
> regularly use are 40 GB.
> 
> As for the money, it sounds like you want something like Ubercart +
> Drupal, not Wordpress.
> 
> Regards,
> Tyler
> 
> -- 
> "Offending fundamentalists isn't my goal ? but if it is an inevitable
> side-effect of defending human rights, so be it."
>    -- Johann Hari
> 
> 
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 4
> Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 15:57:57 +0100
> From: Barry Drake <bdrake at crosswire.org>
> To: UK Ubuntu Talk <ubuntu-uk at lists.ubuntu.com>
> Subject: Re: [ubuntu-uk] Please help with research ...
> Message-ID: <1302793077.2232.3.camel at pcspecialist>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
> 
> On Thu, 2011-04-14 at 13:36 +0100, Andr?s Mu?iz Piniella wrote:
> > Should they use wubi, live cd or request install (backup, defrag)...
> 
> I've asked my volunteers to run the LiveCD ....  that way, I can offer
> help by running a liveCD on my box while I talk to them.  I can't use
> wubi as I don't have a computer with Windows these days.
> 
> Regards,		Barry.
> -- 
> Barry Drake is a member of the the Ubuntu Advertising team.
> http://ubuntuadverts.org/
> 
> 
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 5
> Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 16:03:33 +0100
> From: Philip Newborough <corenominal at corenominal.org>
> To: UK Ubuntu Talk <ubuntu-uk at lists.ubuntu.com>
> Subject: Re: [ubuntu-uk] Very Off Topic - Apologies in advance.
> Message-ID: <BANLkTinSRmG017UfVSXCnW=YzMmQJzRJCQ at mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
> 
> On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 3:45 PM, Tyler J. Wagner <tyler at tolaris.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, 2011-04-14 at 15:28 +0100, Dave Hanson wrote:
> >> I need some sort of ecommerce plugin for Wordpress which will allow
> >> clients, and myself to upload large files (HDD Images, so I'm talking
> >> GB's) and take payment from them for recovering their files and things -
> >> Obviosly not every job would involve huge amounts of data, but some may.
> >
> > I don't think you'll be able to accept such large files. Is the PHP
> > upload size limited by available RAM? Even if not, even a typical disk
> > image is 250 GB these days, and the smallest harddrives people still
> > regularly use are 40 GB.
> >
> 
> It is probably doable, but probably not practical, at those sizes it
> would be quicker to use snail mail. Also, I am not sure what volume of
> business you will be doing, but snail mail would probably be much
> cheaper too.
> 
> If I was going to provide this service online, my main concern, after
> setting up the hosting provisions, would be the client's connection,
> as it would be an unknown entity. I would hate to have spent time and
> money setting it up, only for it to be useless for the majority of
> clients. :(
> 
> I hope this has not put too much of a downer on your idea. Providing a
> data recovery service is cool, I am just not sure about the need to
> make it more complicated than need be.
> 
> Good luck with it! :)
> 
>  -- Philip
> 
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 6
> Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 16:32:37 +0100
> From: Simon Greenwood <sfgreenwood at gmail.com>
> To: UK Ubuntu Talk <ubuntu-uk at lists.ubuntu.com>
> Subject: Re: [ubuntu-uk] Very Off Topic - Apologies in advance.
> Message-ID: <BANLkTimZ=Nj+5vDq38vb4DQGBmSuTfYZxQ at mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
> 
> On 14 April 2011 15:28, Dave Hanson <d.hanson at hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
> 
> > Hiya Everyone,
> >
> > I was wondering if might ask an off topic question please as I assume that
> > there are many people on this list who may do something similar?
> >
> > I'm planning on doing some data recovery work from home when I finish my
> > degree (Computer Forensics Bsc), My plan is to promote myself through my
> > Wordpress powered blog (shameless plug: hansonforensics.co.uk). - It is on
> > an Ubuntu Server! ;)
> >
> > I need some sort of ecommerce plugin for Wordpress which will allow
> > clients, and myself to upload large files (HDD Images, so I'm talking GB's)
> > and take payment from them for recovering their files and things - Obviosly
> > not every job would involve huge amounts of data, but some may.
> >
> > The main problem is that I would prefer to take either the expected amount
> > in full and reserve it until the job is completed, with the option of
> > returning it to the client or take a small diagnostic fee in advance and log
> > what fee came from who/what job number.
> >
> > Could anyone reccomend a plugin or perhaps share how they conduct such
> > transactions?
> >
> > Thanks - And as I say, Apologies in advance for being off topic.
> >
> 
> I'd also concur that it's not a good idea. Among other things you can't
> guarantee the veracity of the file that you receive - that's why you have
> MD5 hashes and suchlike.
> 
> At a pinch you could offer a secure FTP/SFTP server but you'd still need to
> be able to prove that what arrived at the server was the same as what left
> the client, which would seem to be a fundamental component of a computer
> forensics service.
> 
> s/
> 
> >
> 
> -- 
> Twitter: @sfgreenwood
> My CV: http://bit.ly/sfg <http://bit.ly/sfgreenwood_cv>_new_cv
> "Is this your sanderling?"
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: <https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-uk/attachments/20110414/3cf5d392/attachment-0001.html>
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 7
> Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 16:46:47 +0100
> From: Chris Wilson <afrowildo at gmail.com>
> To: UK Ubuntu Talk <ubuntu-uk at lists.ubuntu.com>
> Subject: Re: [ubuntu-uk] Very Off Topic - Apologies in advance.
> Message-ID: <BANLkTi=DPf8uKM5gMLCQkmae+v__SAUwGg at mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
> 
> If it was me, I wouldn't attempt to do these things using my own hosted
> services for fear that something would go wrong due to my inexperience,
> tarnishing my reputation with the clients. Instead, I would use Amazon Web
> Services (http://aws.amazon.com/) for accepting the disk image. AWS is a
> company spun off from amazon.com for the purpose of commercialising the
> technology the Amazon uses in it's own operations, and one of the
> services available is S3 (Simple Storage Service http://aws.amazon.com/s3/).
> You would simply send your client a link that would allow them to upload
> their image and you would download it at your end. There's also a number of
> consumer-oriented services that use S3 that you could look at (
> http://aws.amazon.com/customerapps/Amazon-S3/Consumers).
> 
> As for payments, I've used PayPal for selling stuff on eBay, including
> issuing refunds once of twice, and it exactly fits the specification you
> described - money can be held in PayPal for some amount of time and parts of
> it can be withdrawn to you bank account, or you can hit the 'Refund' button
> to send it all back to the client. The connection to paypal.com is also
> encrypted by default, which is one less (very expensive) thing you would
> have to worry about yourself. There's also Google Checkout and Amazon have
> their own checkout system.
> 
> But this all depends on how much trust you're willing to place in
> third-party hosted services. Personally, I've always found that using
> someone else's tried and tested product/service, rather than building my
> own, is always far easier than trying to reinvent the wheel.
> 
> Hope that helps,
> Chris
> 
> On 14 April 2011 15:28, Dave Hanson <d.hanson at hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
> 
> > Hiya Everyone,
> >
> > I was wondering if might ask an off topic question please as I assume that
> > there are many people on this list who may do something similar?
> >
> > I'm planning on doing some data recovery work from home when I finish my
> > degree (Computer Forensics Bsc), My plan is to promote myself through my
> > Wordpress powered blog (shameless plug: hansonforensics.co.uk). - It is on
> > an Ubuntu Server! ;)
> >
> > I need some sort of ecommerce plugin for Wordpress which will allow
> > clients, and myself to upload large files (HDD Images, so I'm talking GB's)
> > and take payment from them for recovering their files and things - Obviosly
> > not every job would involve huge amounts of data, but some may.
> >
> > The main problem is that I would prefer to take either the expected amount
> > in full and reserve it until the job is completed, with the option of
> > returning it to the client or take a small diagnostic fee in advance and log
> > what fee came from who/what job number.
> >
> > Could anyone reccomend a plugin or perhaps share how they conduct such
> > transactions?
> >
> > Thanks - And as I say, Apologies in advance for being off topic.
> >
> > Dave
> >
> >
> > --
> > ubuntu-uk at lists.ubuntu.com
> > https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-uk
> > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UKTeam/
> >
> >
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: <https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-uk/attachments/20110414/e04fcef9/attachment.html>
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> -- 
> ubuntu-uk mailing list
> ubuntu-uk at lists.ubuntu.com
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-uk
> 
> 
> End of ubuntu-uk Digest, Vol 72, Issue 20
> *****************************************
 		 	   		  
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-uk/attachments/20110414/5b345aa3/attachment-0001.html>


More information about the ubuntu-uk mailing list