[ubuntu-uk] ubuntu-uk Digest, Vol 72, Issue 11

Lee Williams lee.willy1977.williams at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 14:55:17 UTC 2011

On 07/04/2011 15:28, Dave Hanson wrote:

>> I had to read that a few times, and it still makes no sense.
>>
>> Fact is an install of Ubuntu on 32-bit system_can_  see and_use_  all
>> of the RAM.
>>
>> Al.
> I run 8gb of ram on my laptop (64 Bit) and Ubuntu recognises 7.5gb of
> it, Not too sure what you guys are getting at to be honest.
>
> Won't he be fine with the amounts he intends to add?
>
> Dave

Hi,

Sorry if I've caused confusion.

I've not tested it with Ubuntu but a kernel running with PAE (Physical
Address Extension) supported and enabled on a processor that supports
PAE too will allow a user to have up to ~64GB of memory and the system
will see and use all of that.

The ~4GB limit is an historic limit for 32bit processors due to the
memory addresses available to it... however see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_Address_Extension for more
information on what PAE does to get around it.

PAE is not needed with a 64 bit processor on 64bit implementation on
your OS as the memory addresses available bring the "limit" up to if I
remember correctly around 256TB... :o

Hope that clarifies it, again sorry if I've caused confusion.

Regards,

Lee.