[ubuntu-uk] New omputer.......Ubuntu install help

Avi Greenbury lists at avi.co
Thu Apr 7 13:05:57 UTC 2011

scoundrel50a wrote:
> now I'm unsure. If I increased the RAM would that be a problem with
> installing 32 on here? I'm glad I asked now.

Nope, no problems.

A 32-bit processor can only address about 3.5GB of ram natively, 64-bit
processors can address some incomprehensibly large amount of memory.

There's a technique which effectively extends 32 bit processors such
that they can address 64GB of memory. This requires support in both the
CPU and the operating system - linux kernels that use it are sometimes
often 'bigmem'. All processors have shipped with PAE support for quite
some time, and Ubuntu comes with it.

--
Avi.