[ubuntu-uk] New omputer.......Ubuntu install help

David Jones djones.dancol at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 7 12:32:46 UTC 2011

On 07/04/2011 13:18, scoundrel50a wrote:
> Hi, for now, instead of getting a Slate, I found a computer, that will
> be better for what I need at the moment.
>
> The specs are:-
>
> Acer Aspire 5736Z
> Pentium Dual Core CPU
> T4500 @ 2.30 GHz
> RAM 3.00 GB
> 64 bit
> Windows 7 Premium
>
> I want to install Ubuntu, but i'm a bit concerned about the fact its
> 64bit, and having read a few peoples problems when trying to install.
> Just wondered would there be any problems with the installation with
> this computer?
>
> Thanks

We've just bought 2 new laptops, a HP G72
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5084849/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7COffice%2C+PCs+and+phones%7C14418968/c_2/2%7C14418968%7CLaptops+and+netbooks%7C14419039.htm
& an Asus A52F
http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/asus-a52f-ex911v-red-laptop-08702336-pdt.html

I've installed on the HP with only one minor problem (wireless didn't
work OTB, but an update of packages solved that, everything else has
worked OTB. For the Asus, I've tried a live USB and everything seems to
work OTB. Both are 64 bit.

I've not had any problems with different apps, I've got flash & skype
working with no problems, the only thing that doesn't work is the free
version of minecraft.

Hope that helps.

Dave