[ubuntu-uk] Wireless Network Connectivity

Steve Flynn anothermindbomb at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 19:10:24 UTC 2011

On 06/04/11 20:00, Phil Wood wrote:

> To be clear; I can connect to my wireless network, but running Firefox
> on any website ellicits:
>
> *The connection has timed out - The server at **www.bbc.co.uk*
> <http://www.bbc.co.uk/>*is taking too long to respond*.
>
> Via a terminal window I can successfully ping www.bbc.co.uk
> <http://www.bbc.co.uk/> .
>
> I run Firefox on a desktop PC and this also connects (W7) OK. I've
> tried to copy the Firefox settings as best as I can, without success.

Have you set up a proxy entry in Firefox? Do you need one for you location?

The fact that you can ping the website shows traffic is getting out...
if you view the site in lynx (a purely text based browser which will
probably require installation via

sudo apt-get install lynx-cur

... do you get any sight of the site, if you pardon the pun?