[ubuntu-uk] Old computers for charity

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Mon Apr 4 18:55:39 UTC 2011

On 04/04/11 13:07, Andrés Muñiz Piniella wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I heard around here that someone worked with charities. I have a work
> colleague that has several in storage and is willing to give them away
> as they are (minus the HDD, though he hinted he might put in new ones)
> Do any of you know of a charity that might be interested?
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Andrés Muñiz-Piniella

The one I can think of was the group Paula is involved with in London, I
believe it's Fossbox (http://www.fossbox.org.uk/).

I'm involved with a couple of projects in Devon, one in Exeter where
we're refurbishing some laptops and providing them to folks on low
incomes in Exeter who want a computer.  They get training (they get
shown how to use Linux, how to install it etc) and then they can adopt a
laptop at the end of the course for £25 (basically we're buying
ex-corporate laptops at the moment from a local IT company and
refurbishing them ourselves).

The other project I'm involved with (although not so much at the moment)
is setting up Internet Cafes in the Torbay area in community centres
(actually we're looking at setting them up around Devon, with one in
Exeter being the first).

But saying that, unless the machines were localish then it's probably
not very green for us in Devon to go and pick them up unless one of us
was travelling down to where you are anyway and they might be better to
be donated to someone more local. :-)

Could also be worth mentioning to your colleague to have a look at DBan
for wiping the drives.  It can wipe up to government standards (and even
more stringent than that too) so I doubt anyone with recovery software
would be able to recover anything (and professional recovery isn't cheap).

Rob