[ubuntu-uk] OT Kindle

Dean Sas dean at deansas.org
Fri Apr 1 14:14:55 UTC 2011

Hi,

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 10:41, Paul Sutton <zleap at zleap.net> wrote:
> Looking at the amazon kindle it looks as if i can use it to open / read
> normal pdf files such as the one for the ubuntu manual,  if this is the case
> it would be useful.
>
> On another note, part of my Open uni studies requires me to read and
> highlight text in book, if i could get hold of electronic versions can i do
> this with kindle or other book readersl as in highlight text adnthen some
> how save the file with the highlights so i can use it to take notes, or
> perhaps there is other ways to attach notes to text.

I got a kindle back in September. I read a decent amount and I love
it. I do not like it for textbooks, you cannot quickly flip and scroll
about, or see as much info as you might like at once (I use the
smallest font size possible).

PDF rendering isn't great, if I remember rightly you can zoom in but
the text isn't reflowed so you have to pan around.

You can highlight text and take notes. I think you can then sync them
back to your PC with calibre. Alternatively there's a linux program
available to read and organise them etc.

I spend all day at work looking at a screen, programming, then I come
back home and look at a screen some more, when I want to "get away and
relax" the last thing I want is an electronic screen. Luckily the
Kindle screen does not look or act like an electronic screen, it looks
like a book.