[ubuntu-uk] usb devices and ubuntu 10.04

Paul Sutton zleap at zleap.net
Wed Sep 29 20:05:11 BST 2010

Hi

using ubuntu 10,04 I am trying to copy data to a sansa clip usb mp3 player

if I plug it in as me, then it sometimes mounts and I can view the data
on it, however it does not always mount properly or seems to randomly
disconnect and the icon is removed from the desktop

my user is a admin user on ubuntu,

if i try and plug it in as a normal user nothing seems to happen at all
with the music device, the external hard disk seems well behaved for the
most part.

i also have a usb hard disk which if plugged in to the desktop system,
directly mounts,  if I try and plug this in to the usb external hub it
won't mount,

if I try and plug both devices in to the external hub i get either one
or the other mounting,  but not both if they are both plugged in

are there issues with dbus that can cause problems

what has changed in terms of the content of /media it used to have
folders which I now understand are dynamically created.

before we had folders that acted as mount points,  something has changed
between 10.04 and earlier versions in the way ubuntu handles things I am
getting lots of messages referring to dbus,  so not sure if there are
know bugs in that.

I am really really struggling to explain exactly what the situation is
as to me it seems random,  sometimes I can plug the music device in and
it works. It just seems to randomly work, i am worried as to why
something would just unmount for no aparent reason (or appear to)

i did manage to get both working, and tried to copied 2 folders of music
across  to the player only half way through the copy dialog seemed to be
stalled,  so after a while i ended it,  and tried to unmount, i then got
another dialog saying it was writing remaining data, which again didn't
seem to be doing much, just displaying a status box with another bar
moving back and forth quickly.

has anyone else had any issues trying to plug in two usb storage devices.

Paul