[ubuntu-uk] Streaming Audio - Cross-Platform

Byte Soup bytesoup at gmail.com
Mon Sep 27 09:11:22 BST 2010

On 20 September 2010 21:51, Daniel Case <danielcase10 at googlemail.com> wrote:

> I'm not quite sure where this should be asked as it is a cross-platform
> thing. I am fed up of listening to my (Windows XP) gaming computer through
> headphones so I want to get it hooked to the stereo.
>
> Rather than use a heck of a lot of wire, I can sit my Ubuntu 9.10 netbook
> on top of the stereo and stream the audio across WiFi. So, ideally what I am
> after is something to capture the outgoing audio on the Windows computer,
> stream it across the wifi to the Ubuntu netbook and finally play it through
> the speakers.
>
> I will of course need it to be cross-platform too, does anybody have any
> ideas?

I would say VLC on both machines? You should be able to stream from the
windows machine to the Ubuntu one, not tried it, but quickly looking at the
options on VLC it sure seems like its possible. I used to use a app called
"edcast" and also winamp with the "shoutcastDSP plugin" in windows to stream
to a shoutcast server, but thats a bit over the top for what you need.