[ubuntu-uk] Cheap Laptop [Was: recommend a small form factor pc]

pmgazz pmgazz at gmx.co.uk
Tue Sep 21 10:36:32 BST 2010

I like Novatech and have one of their laptops - the laptop chassis is
great overall, however the case is stylish but a bit flimsy - spongy
keyboard and the battery fell out after a couple of months (a regular
occurrence according to the forums). That's why I got my latest batch
from eBuyer (also without OS). They don't look as good, their touchpads
are crud, but their chassis is sturdy. Dunno about Novatech's desktops.

I got a couple of pre-built barebones AMD Sempron boxes from Yoyotech
for £130 a year ago but they don't seem to have deals on end-of-line
motherboards anymore - also these were low-end gamers boxes (I use them
for media) and if you don't need the graphics they'll just waste leccie.

eBuyer often have prebuilt barebones without OS - I've had laptops and
PC boxes from them and they've been cheap and sturdy. Their cheapest at
the mo is around £230 (4 GB RAM, 2.8 GHz Intel with onboard graphics)
though so not as cheap as the Asus option.

Paula