[ubuntu-uk] Pasting home directory into new and version upgrade installs?

Jonathon Fernyhough j.fernyhough at gmail.com
Sat Sep 18 11:27:17 BST 2010

On 18 September 2010 10:18, Tyler J. Wagner <tyler at tolaris.com> wrote:
> Using an old copy of your home directory will be fine as long as files are owned
> by the same userid after reinstall. Very little in Gnome, at least, goes wrong
> with upgrades. KDE apps between 9.04 and 10.04 may be a little more fussy, but
> if so just delete that app's config and data:

Another handy trick after copying /home/user to the new install is to do

$ sudo chown -R user:user /home/user

If /home/user exists during the install process, and you create user
during the process, I think this is done automatically. chown is
useful, however if restoring a plain backup or duplicating between two
machines (I used to have two laptops with the same profile; a very
useful backup system if one breaks).

Jonathon