[ubuntu-uk] MS vs. OO - and Adobe!

Alan Bell alan.bell at theopenlearningcentre.com
Thu Sep 16 18:48:56 BST 2010

On 16/09/10 13:46, pmgazz wrote:
> I had a similar heart-searching around Adobe Air - I work with
> non-profits for whom fundraising is core - most funders issue
> badly-constructed pdf forms and trying to fill these in with Evince is
> still a work in progress. I can manage to do it because I know Evince
> fairly well and what it can and can't do and don't mind working around
> it - my clients were having total nervous breakdowns.
>
> Getting rid of Adobe's ghastly, bloated and tentacled reader was a
> major plus in moving to Ubuntu for me ;)  However, my clients really
> really weren't coping. I now put Acroread onto Ubuntu Desktops where
> people need to deal with pdf forms. Hate it, but there it is.
>
> And, until I upgraded to 10.04 and BBC iPlayer didn't, I used to
> install Air (grumbling all the way) so I can run the iPlayer on my
> desktop. I'm really committed to Free Software but I'm not a hermit ;)
>
> By the way, is there something we could (collectively) do to hassle
> the BCC to sort out the iPlayer for Lucid (and Maverick - or is it
> fixed on Maverick? I haven't had time to install it yet).
>
> Paula
The adobe air iplayer app works for me on Maverick, pretty sure I have
it on a Lucid box too. Works on Maverick in 32 bit and in 64 bit.

Alan.

--
Alan Bell
The Open Learning Centre

Web: http://www.theopenlearningcentre.com

Mob: +44 (0)7738 789190
Tel: +44 (0)844 3576000

The Open Learning Centre is a trading name of Bell Lord Ltd,
a company registered in England and Wales #05868943.
VAT Registration #GB 901 4715 55