[ubuntu-uk] backup home folder

Tyler J. Wagner tyler at tolaris.com
Thu Sep 16 10:24:35 BST 2010

On Thursday 16 Sep 2010 09:55:33 Alan Pope wrote:
> To achieve a reinstall/upgrade of this nature simply boot from a
> recent CD and when you get to the partitioning step, choose to
> 'manually' partition the disk. Choose where you want to install and
> make sure 'Format' is _not_ ticked. The installer will go through
> /bin, /usr, /var, /etc, /lib and so on deleting all files before the
> installation starts. It will _not_ delete /home.
>
> Of course this only preserves /home, not your settings in /etc nor
> mysql databases in /var or anything else outside of /home, but it's a
> very useful feature.

Which distro installers support this? They actually "rm -rf" those directories
first? If so, this is indeed an excellent feature. The last Ubuntu installer I
used only specified format or not, and didn't say anything about clearing the
directories first. What I don't want is existing, non-conflicting older files to
be left there.

Regards,
Tyler

--
"If one would give me six lines written by the hand of the most honest
man, I would find something in them to have him hanged."