[ubuntu-uk] Using Wubi on a dual partition machine

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 19:17:20 BST 2010

On 15 September 2010 15:40, Rowan Berkeley <rowan.berkeley at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-09-15 at 15:15:24 +0100, Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> On 15 September 2010 14:04, Jacob Mansfield <cyberjacob at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > I just type where it puts the curser by default, I can type where I
>> > like. yes I did try with a USB cd drive and if you actualy read my
>> > posts rather than yelling at my grammer will know that I did try
>> > with a USB memory stick
>>
>> Aaaaaand *that* is right where I stop trying to offer any help or
>> guidance. HAND. Goodbye.
>
> Is there something we can do to persuade you to stop contributing to
> this list altogether, Liam? If so, please let us know and we shall be
> only too happy to do it for you.

In general, all I ask is that people abide by the rules and etiquette
of the medium, do their best to ask questions the smart way (q.v. Eric
Raymond), and are polite and friendly.

I make my living from freelance IT support and advice. It is what I do
and have done for the bulk of the last 14 years. I charge £75 per hour
or part thereof for my services, and I have clients from Scotland to
Brussels. I have worked with everything from a myriad of individuals
and home users to multinational banks.

I give help and guidance here because I see it as giving something
back, repaying in some small way the huge amount of use I've had out
of Linux since I started playing with it in 1996 and using it
seriously in 1997.

I do not expect, nor will I tolerate, rudeness, ingratitude and so on.
If someone can't be bothered to learn how to reply to an email - and
indeed is willing to *say* they can't be bothered to - or is just
plain rude - then why should I help them? They're getting a service
from me that large corporations pay me tens of thousands of pounds
for.

Sadly it is human nature to value things according to what you pay for
them. I am not like that; if I get something for free and it's of a
large degree of use to me, I prize it and am very grateful.

Most people seem to figure, hey, I didn't pay, so it's not worth anything.

The same clearly goes for help and advice.

If a paying client of mine is slow to understand, impatient, rude, or
calls at 2AM with a problem, I bend over backwards to help. That's
what they are paying for.

However, personally, I don't tolerate fools. Never mind gladly, not at all.

If someone can't be bothered to write proper English when it is their
native language, or can't be bothered to learn how to use a mailing
list, but they still want support - well, from me, they get what they
pay for. Nothing.

So, a good way to stop getting helpful replies from me is to be
unhelpful, bolshie, rude or uncooperative.

Do unto others as thou wouldst have them do unto thee.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com