[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu Direction

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Sat Sep 11 17:11:58 BST 2010

On 11/09/10 16:39, Daniel Case wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have just tried the 10.10 Beta and here are my thoughts.

Okay to be fair I haven't had chance to try the 10.10 Beta yet, when I
free up some space I'm going to to give it a try.

> Is it just me, or does anyone else think Ubuntu is losing its direction
> from its initial philosophy? I have seen it happen all too often with
> company-owned software, first it will be open source, then it will have
> some closed source stuff (which Ubuntu now gives you option to install
> at the install screen - despite it being closed source)

Yes and no.  I'd be the first to admit I wasn't keen on the UI changes
in Ubuntu 10.04 although now I'm used to the changes.  AFAIK Ubuntu has
always offered some closed source stuff (closed source drivers and
things like the option of adding Flash, Adobe Reader etc).  I guess the
idea of adding closed source software to the Ubuntu Software Centre is
so that Canonical can maybe take commission on sales of software.  IIRC
for a while they've had the option to add commercial software, possibly
not so easily but it's been available (things like video codecs,
CrossOver Office maybe).  More and more people are getting used to 'App
Stores', possibly because of the sheer popularity of the iPhone/iPod
Touch/iPad.

Personally I think if adding a Software Centre brings in more users then
that has to be a good thing.  Plus we're not being forced to buy
commercial software or even download free proprietary software if we
don't want to.  If we do however want to add non-free components (Flash,
codecs etc) then it's being made easier (especially for new users who
possibly come to expect this sort of thing when they're coming from
Windows/Mac).

Thinking back a few years ago, one of the complaints that I heard from
some Windows users (one complaint I had myself when I first started
using Linux was that I couldn't download a setup program).  Some people
kind of expect this too and I think maybe the simplicity of the Software
Centre is a good thing until they learn that they can add repositories
and install deb (or even rpm packages with Alien and .tar.gz packages).

> There is also now a paid software section in the Ubuntu Software Center
> and finally...a tiny one, but the one that really annoyed me, the fact
> that ctrl+alt+d no longer takes you the desktop as it does in every
> other distribution and did since Ubuntu was first thought of, it is now
> "WINDOWS+d".

You can always change it back.  Personally I change it to Windows + D as
I use Windows at work and it's just habit for me.  Same goes for Windows
+ L.  Maybe they'll change the Ctrl + Alt + L shortcut to Windows + L
before the final release.

> Just my 2p (since its UK ;))

That's fair enough.  At the end of the day we do have plenty of choice
on distros, themes, desktop environments.  In a way I think we're lucky
that we're not stuck with one thing, and I also think we're really lucky
that we don't have to purchase a specific version for specific features
(as with Windows where you get Windows Media Center on Windows 7 Home
Premium and Ultimate or the ability to add to domains on Windows 7
Professional or Ultimate).

Rob