[ubuntu-uk] Using Wubi on a dual partition machine

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Fri Sep 10 11:28:49 BST 2010

On 10 September 2010 10:06, Tommy Pyatt <tommy.pyatt at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 10/09/10 09:11, Liam Proven wrote:
>> On 9 September 2010 13:35, Tommy Pyatt <tommy.pyatt at googlemail.com> wrote:
>>> I have installed Win7 a number of times, the installation of the system
>>> partition seemed pretty default to me. I would have had to go out of my
>>> way to tell it not to do it.
>>
>> I'm sorry, but no, it isn't. I suspect that perhaps if you are seeing
>> a PC with a blank hard disk getting a "system partition" /as well as/
>> the Windows OS primary partition, then what you are doing is either
>> not installing but recovering from manufacturer recovery CDs, or you
>> are using a highly-modified version of Windows.
>>
>> Windows does not do this and never has.
>>
>> I am not trying to single you out here or quibble needlessly but you
>> are spreading disinformation. I am sure this is through an honest
>> error or misunderstanding but in context it is rather important.
>
> Apologies for 'spreading disinformation', I'm far from being alone in
> noting the installation of the hidden system partition.
>
> http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/01/09/how-to-avoid-200mb-hidden-system-partition-from-been-created-during-windows-7-installation/
>
> http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/353-your-win7-install-experience.html
>
> http://www.pronetworks.org/forums/windows-7-creates-a-small-system-partition-t104873.html
>
> http://forums.techguy.org/windows-vista/803112-windows-7-system-partition.html
>
> Can I just point out that I was only trying to help? And that the
> purpose of the comment was to ensure the OP that the partition wasn't
> likely to affect his Wubi install. I posted to the best of my
> understanding of what I'd had observed from my experience installing
> Windows 7. I apologise if anyone has been offended by my spreading of
> disinformation.

Wow.

OK, then, I sincerely apologise. I have installed multiple copies of 7
on notebooks and desktops, as well as working on quite a few
pre-installed machines, and have never seen this or anything like it,
but maybe it's due to something I am doing. All my own PCs dual-boot
into at least 2 OSs and frequently 3, 4 or 5 of them; perhaps this
stops Windows trying to get clever.

And FWIW, I, too, was only trying to help. That's what we're all here for.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com