[ubuntu-uk] Flash problems in 10.04

Andrew Seyes andrew.seyes at gmail.com
Tue Sep 7 16:21:52 BST 2010

> As an aside to this - both my machines now only have Ubuntu on them, so
> I don't have the GRUB screen when I start up. But what if I want to load
> an old kernel (following update problems)? How can I do that?

Just done this myself recently, It appears that by default, grub2 will
not display the menu on single os computers. To permanently reveal the
grub2 menu at boot time you have to edit /etc/default/grub as root,
and comment out the line "GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0", then run
update-grub. On the next reboot you should see the grub menu again.
Lots of details on grub2 are in [1] below - search for
"GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0" on that page for the bit that explains how to
reveal the menu.

If you dont fancy making a permanent change you can (according to [1])
just hold down the shift key as the computer boots to reveal the menu.
Not tried that myself though.

Regards,
Andrew

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Grub2