[ubuntu-uk] Does a hard shutdown actually damage anything?

Glen Mehn glen.mehn at oba.co.uk
Fri Sep 3 13:41:57 BST 2010

  when you do the power pull, you could have data corruption for
anything that's not written to the filesystem (the details of this are
a) very boring and b) vary by filesystem.

To avoid problems, stop (or kill) all running programs, and do:

sudo halt
or
sudo shutdown -h now
(which is what the poweroff button calls in any case)

It's not the end of the world, but I have had wedged systems with
unkillable files and whatnot before. Typically, you can reinstall the
affected applications if you know what they are.

Best,

Glen

--
Glen Mehn
glen.mehn at oba.co.uk
skype: glenmehn | blog: http://glen.mehn.net/mba
UK: +44(0)7942 675 755 | US: +1 415 704 4737