[ubuntu-uk] Does a hard shutdown actually damage anything?

Andy Braben andybraben at googlemail.com
Fri Sep 3 11:21:23 BST 2010

Having had someone mention this problem to me and solved it via a hard
shut down, my advice was to NEVER hard shutdown, but to press
ctrl+alt+delete and select shutdown from the dialog box that appears.
That worked perfectly and seems to be the simplest option which does
not involve the command line. However another command line option is
simply "sudo poweroff".

Regards,
Andy.