[ubuntu-uk] Does a hard shutdown actually damage anything?

Tony Pursell ajp at princeswalk.fsnet.co.uk
Fri Sep 3 10:35:31 BST 2010

On Fri, 2010-09-03 at 10:03 +0100, Steve Fisher wrote:
> On 3 September 2010 09:50, Rowan Berkeley <rowan.berkeley at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>         Hi,
>
>         Once again I lost my shutdown function; not only did shutdown
>         vanish
>         from my main menu, but when I added the Session Indicator
>         Applet to the
>         panel, the shutdown option on this did not work either; only
>         the user
>         switcher option worked. Therefore, I had to shutdown by
>         pressing and
>         holding the power button. This being the second time this has
>         happened,
>         I should like to know, what are the dangers of doing a hard
>         shutdown?
>
>         Thanks,
>         Rowan
>

>         --
>         ubuntu-uk at lists.ubuntu.com
>
> Morning,
>

> There is always a chance of file corruption on a hard reset.  If you
> can open a terminal try "sudo reboot" or "sudo halt".
>

> Cheers
>

> Steve

Your data will probably be OK if you are using a journalling file system
(such as ext3 of ext4).

The problem you are having with shut down may be related to this bug

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/lucid/+source/openoffice.org/+bug/562027

If it is, you need to Exit the OpenOffice.org Quickstarter before you
use Shut down...

This is only required if you have opened an OOo document in this
session.

Tony