[ubuntu-uk] It Hibernate better than switching off?

Tyler J. Wagner tyler at tolaris.com
Thu Sep 2 20:39:29 BST 2010

I don't believe you can instruct a suspended laptop to wake itself up. That
would take at least a BIOS feature, I think.

A suspended laptop doesn't make a copy of anything. It just syncs the
filesystems (writes changes to media), and puts the hardware into a low-power
state. That basically means that RAM remains powered and everything else is
effectively off. When you restore, the data is still in RAM.

Regards,
Tyler

On Thursday 02 Sep 2010 19:30:01 Jacob Mansfield wrote:
> why not set it so that if you close the lid it will suspend for, say an
> hour and then shut down if it takes longer to come out of hybernation than
> a cold start
>
> On 2 September 2010 19:25, Rob Beard <rob at esdelle.co.uk> wrote:
> > On 02/09/10 13:54, javadayaz wrote:
> > > Ive recently started to put my pc into hibernate as opposed to
> > > switching off completely.
> > >
> > > Although it takes longer to switch back on and ready to use..i do find
> > > all my windows open and even my video paused, ready to watch where i
> >
> > left!
> >
> > > How does ubuntu know where i stopped watching a vid....and open it
> > > right back up?
> >
> > It saves a copy of the memory to your swap space and then turns the
> > machine off.  When you turn it back on it boots up (I'm guessing it
> > boots the kernel) and then restores the memory, hence why everything is
> > how you left it.
> >
> > I used to use Hibernate quite a lot on Windows as it was reasonably
> > quick (quicker than booting from scratch) but I find on Linux it works
> > out slower.  As a stop gap I generally suspend my laptop when I'm not
> > using it although it does use some power to keep it suspended (whereas
> > with hibernate it wouldn't use any power, well not if the machine was
> > disconnected from the mains).
> >
> > Rob
> >
> > --
> > ubuntu-uk at lists.ubuntu.com
"Cheops' Law: Nothing ever gets built on schedule or within budget."
   -- Lazarus Long, "Time Enough for Love", by Robert A. Heinlein