[ubuntu-uk] It Hibernate better than switching off?

Will Bickerstaff will at thebickerstaffs.net
Thu Sep 2 17:53:55 BST 2010

In my experience hibernate is a pain, it takes an absolute age to
restore and is often slower than booting from off.

Suspend works well though and I use it all the time. The difference
being, at least as far as I understand it, that suspend stores all
currently open data to RAM, and then powers off the hard disk,
display, CPU and other stuff while keeping RAM powered. Hibernate
writes all open data to swap partition and then completely powers off
the computer.