[ubuntu-uk] It Hibernate better than switching off?

Vince Marsters vince at marsters.co.uk
Thu Sep 2 14:03:37 BST 2010

On Thu, 2010-09-02 at 13:54 +0100, javadayaz wrote:
> Ive recently started to put my pc into hibernate as opposed to
> switching off completely.
>

> Although it takes longer to switch back on and ready to use..i do find
> all my windows open and even my video paused, ready to watch where i
> left!
>

> How does ubuntu know where i stopped watching a vid....and open it
> right back up?

Hibernate effectively saves the contents of the memory to the hard
drive, which when you resume is copied back into memory. Hence your
system restarts where it left off (even in the middle of a video).

Switching off does exactly that - closes all running applications and
shuts the system down.

Vince