[ubuntu-uk] Low power 2-drive NAS box that can run Ubuntu?

Glen Mehn glen.mehn at oba.co.uk
Thu Sep 2 12:45:16 BST 2010

  I think you'll have at least a bit of trouble doing this with
current-ish kit, the big killer will be the "silent" requirement.

I suspect, though, that putting together osmething like one of those
Shuttle mini things with an Atom or C3 processor will do what you need.
Alternatively, a netbook and a couple of external USB boxes for your
drives. Also, finding an old-ish machine and underclocking the CPU might
work-- I'm thinking centrino-era solos.

Or why not put the drives in your mid-tower? If you're running it most
of the time anyway. The best you'll get will be about 12-15w
consumption, so maybe doing the math will see if it makes sense to just
have a single box vs. the additional capital expense/carbon/energy/etc.
of having a separate box.

Best of luck,

Glen