[ubuntu-uk] Dual boot splash screen - Ubuntu 10.04, grub 2

John Stevenson john at jr0cket.com
Thu Sep 2 12:17:32 BST 2010

On 2 September 2010 11:26, Gordon Burgess-Parker <gbplinux at gmail.com> wrote:

>  Dual booting Windows 7 and Ubuntu 10.04.
> Every time there's a kernel update I get a new entry in the grub 2 boot
> screen
> I am very confused on how to edit this new version of Grub - in the old
> days I just edited menu.1st file.
> What I'm aiming for is just two entries  - Ubuntu and Windows.
> Can this be accomplished?

Hello Gordon,
I am sure you probably know this, but if you remove older kernels then they
will no longer show up on the grub menu list.  Personally I dont keep more
than three different kernel versions and you should probably always keep two
known working ones (the current kernel and previous one) just in case there
is a bug with your hardware.

If you want to keep all your kernels, then the only thing I saw was to hide
your recovery kernels (not sure thats the best idea).  If you edit

*/etc/default/grub*
**
and add / change / uncomment the following line

*GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_RECOVERY=true*
Tthis line to prevent "Recovery" mode kernel options from appearing in the
menu. If you want a "Recovery" option for only one kernel, make a special
entry in /etc/grub/40_custom.

You may need to update grup using the command:

sudo update-grup2

Hope this helps.
--
John Stevenson