[ubuntu-uk] Mint 9 and Windows 2000 Server

Grant Sewell dcglug at thymox.co.uk
Mon Oct 25 16:21:03 BST 2010

On Mon, 25 Oct 2010 15:30:33 +0100
Liam Proven wrote:

> We're not on an IRC channel here. I don't know what the "rules of
> engagement" are for those - I don't use them - but for my money,  in
> *any* medium, answering a question by confidently stating incorrect
> information is not only unhelpful, it is seriously unprofessional, and
> highlighting this is doing them, and the original asker of the
> question, a service.
>
> I am not saying I'm entirely innocent of this myself - we all make
> mistakes. However, when one is caught in such a mistake, the thing to
> do is not to respond with sarcasm, to challenge the person pointing
> out one's error or accuse them of being hostile or confrontational, it
> is *to apologise*.

Maybe if you were polite in the manner in which you pointed out my
error then I would have apologized for failing to research my post -
which, incidentally, was not answering the question itself; I was
pointing out that it does not harm the Ubuntu community to answer
questions that do not specifically pertain to Ubuntu.

As it happens, you came in guns-a'blazing shouting FUD from the rooftops
and claiming my post as defamatory.  Hardly polite, was it?

Need I remind you of this:
www.ubuntu.com/community/conduct
"This code of conduct covers our behaviour as members of the Ubuntu
Community, in any forum, mailing list, wiki, website, Internet relay
chat (IRC) channel, install-fest, public meeting or private
correspondence." (My emphasis)

"Be respectful. The Ubuntu community and its members treat one another
with respect. Everyone can make a valuable contribution to Ubuntu. We
may not always agree, but disagreement is no excuse for poor behaviour
and poor manners. We might all experience some frustration now and
then, but we cannot allow that frustration to turn into a personal
attack. It's important to remember that a community where people feel
uncomfortable or threatened is not a productive one. We expect members
of the Ubuntu community to be respectful when dealing with other
contributors as well as with people outside the Ubuntu project and with
users of Ubuntu."

"Please avoid flamewars, trolling, personal attacks, and repetitive
arguments"

> Furthermore, I know that this is all archived and casual readers can
> also note that I have attached not only my real name but my home and
> mobile phone numbers as well. That should indicate how much I worry
> about the "threat" of being "archived". By the way, that primary email
> listed in my sig has been live for exactly 19 years today. It was my
> second email address; I had one six years earlier than that. So, you
> know, not a n00b and don't really appreciate lectures about
> netiquette, thanks.

My point about it being publicly archived was not with regard to your
personal details - I do not really care for them.  My point was that
your post has been recorded and viewable by all and sundry, and your
post definitely comes across as aggressive.  My post, which will also
have been recorded and will be viewable by all and sundry, comes across
as someone stating the we should be happy to answer questions outside
of the scope of Ubuntu, so long as it is reasonable to do so.

And for the purposes of completeness, since you seem to be somewhat
preoccupied with personal details:
Name:			Grant Sewell
Primary Occupation:	Lecturer of ICT
Secondary Occupation:	Self employed IT Consultant
Email address:		grant at cornwall-it.co.uk
GTalk:			grant at cornwall-it.co.uk
Telephone:		+44 1752 204549
Mobile:			+44 7866 065964