[ubuntu-uk] Mint 9 and Windows 2000 Server

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Mon Oct 25 11:11:03 BST 2010

On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 12:39 PM, Grant Sewell <dcglug at thymox.co.uk> wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Oct 2010 12:35:10 +0100
> Matt Darcy wrote:
>
>> On 23/10/2010 21:24, Ronnie Tucker wrote:
>> > I have my EEE PC (with Mint 9) hooked up to a Windows 2000 server at
>> > work. The server is set to force the user to change their password
>> > every 30 days and the new password mustn't be the same as any of
>> > the previous dozen or so passwords.
>> >
>> > When the password is due to change my Mint 9 can't log in to the
>> > network. I have to end up going to a Windows machine, changing my
>> > password then go back to my Mint9 machine.
>> >
>> > Is there a way I can do the password change within Mint 9?
>> >
>> > Any advice is much appreciated.
>> >
>> > Ronnie
>> >

>> why is this even being asked on an Ubuntu list ???
>
> I guess not everyone realises yet that Linux Mint is no longer based on
> Ubuntu - certainly the Wikipedia page (which for some is Gospel) still
> show it as being based on Ubuntu.
>
> Does it hurt the Ubuntu community for someone to innocuously ask a
> question such as this?  Does it hurt us to answer it?

What? That's not true! What's with the FUD?

Mint /is/ still based on Ubuntu and no plans to leave it have been announced.

Mint 9, which the question was about, is Ubuntu 10.04 with a facelift.

Mint 10, whose beta has currently just entered RC stage, is based on
Ubuntu 10.10.

Yes, there is a new, unfinished Mint based on Debian, but it's not
been announced as the future. The mainline product is still in Ubuntu
remix.

Clearly, you don't really know what you're talking about and you
didn't bother checking your facts before you posted. This is very
unhelpful regarding one of Ubuntu's most popular and helpful remixes.
In fact, I'd say it's verging on defamatory. Why?

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com