[ubuntu-uk] External CAT5 (subject change for change of topic)

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Sat Oct 23 00:40:32 BST 2010

On 23/10/10 00:02, Tyler J. Wagner wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-10-22 at 18:03 +0100, Mark Harrison wrote:
>> As far as I'm aware, it poses no more risk than, say, a satellite
>> dish.
>
> I *am* a satellite engineer. I've installed and operated antennas from
> 1.2m to 9.3m in diameter, from Baghdad to London. I've never seen
> lighting strikes an antenna in person, and I've only ever seen a handful
> of documented cases. I've seen more of them destroyed by bombs than by
> lightning.
>
> We typically earth antennas, but only the most expensive installations
> pay for full lighting protection (which is far more complicated than
> mere earthing).
>
> Your external CAT-5 is fine.
>
> Tyler

That's answered one of those things I've always wondered.  Good to know
too that it's reasonably safe.  At the moment I have CAT5 running inside
the house but it's messy (wires are literally hanging from the ceiling
behind the curtains in our front room).  I think maybe running the
cables outside the house might be a plan.

As far as UV protection goes, doing a Google search came up with this...

http://www.sapphiremailorder.com/cube/networking/network-cables-outdoor-/cat_34.html

I just wondered if it's going to be any better than getting standard
cable (and maybe painting over it)?

Rob