[ubuntu-uk] Powerline Recommendations

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Fri Oct 22 11:17:52 BST 2010

On 22 October 2010 11:01, Colin Law <clanlaw at googlemail.com> wrote:
> I would not have thought so (though not an expert), that is how TV
> aerial leads are generally wired.

Which is why many people unplug their telly at night :)

> Just make sure when you drill that
> the drill slopes down to the outside so that condensation will not run
> down the wire through the cavity from the outside wall to the inside
> one.

I'd also get armoured cable. The standard cat5 doesn't stand up well
to the elements. They degrade awfully in sun/rain.

> Is it any different to the external phone cable?

What external phone cable? Ours is underground, and I'm pretty sure
(although clearly not an expert) that the telephone company have
protection at their end and the BT socket has a GDT which is supposed
to protect in some instances.

When I ran Ethernet to my shed at the end of the garden I put it in
cables under the ground and around the edge of the garden.

Cheers,
Al.