[ubuntu-uk] Powerline Recommendations

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Fri Oct 22 11:01:04 BST 2010

On 22 October 2010 10:47, Alan Pope <alan at popey.com> wrote:
> On 22 October 2010 10:44, Barry Drake <bdrake at crosswire.org> wrote:
>> I drilled throught the outside wall and have CAT5 all around the
>> outside.  Quick, easy, fast, secure ....
>>

> ...almost certainly against building regs.. :)

I would not have thought so (though not an expert), that is how TV
aerial leads are generally wired.  Just make sure when you drill that
the drill slopes down to the outside so that condensation will not run
down the wire through the cavity from the outside wall to the inside
one.

> If it gets struck by lightning (a very real possibility given it's
> grounded via your PC/switch at each end, it could blow your entire
> network up.

Is it any different to the external phone cable?  That is connected to
the modem and hence to the whole wired network.  I believe that
lightning does occasionally take out modems and connected kit but it
is not that common.  I think power surges through the mains, induced
by the lightning, are a more common problem.

Colin