[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu/Linux is still not an OS for the masses - discuss

pmgazz pmgazz at gmx.co.uk
Tue Oct 19 12:47:41 BST 2010

On 19/10/10 10:24, Gordon Burgess-Parker wrote:
>  On 13/10/2010 12:08, John Matthews wrote:
>> On 13/10/10 11:49, chris cundy wrote:
> Installing Ubuntu IS as easy as installing Windows and a darn sight
> faster to get a fully-functioning machine.
> Once you have installed Windows you THEN have to install your AV, you
> THEN have to install Office (or whatever you use) so that's a good
> DOUBLE the time Ubuntu takes....

Totally agree, takes a fraction of the time and botheration 95% of the
time. For the remaining 5%, at least one is in a helpful environment
where people care whether your graphics etc etc work or not and you
don't end up crawling all over the web trying to find an obsolete driver
from a company that's gone bust (and never cared anyway) and which isn't
crawling with viruses.

Even with an installation driver CD handy, I still don't miss the
rebooting, rebooting, rebooting, rebooting . . . ! And the bizarre
rituals for installing USB peripherals so XP doesn't lose the driver.

Both can drive you up the wall when you hit a problem, but I reckon
Ubuntu comes out easier and faster for installation 95% of the time.

Paula