[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu/Linux is still not an OS for the masses - discuss

Gordon Burgess-Parker gbplinux at gmail.com
Tue Oct 19 10:24:54 BST 2010

  On 13/10/2010 12:08, John Matthews wrote:
> On 13/10/10 11:49, chris cundy wrote:
>> I think the point of any Linux desktop distro is not that everything
>> will work perfectly with every combination of hardware available but
>> to work with most hardware. The issue with computer users is not that
>> they can't solve problems or get a particular setup working how they
>> would like, its that they won't try.  We have become too happy to
>> rely on others to do all our thinking.
>>
>> I too have come across problems with Graphic and Wifi cards yet I
>> appreciate the time and effort people have put in to create a
>> wonderful free product or to assist fools like me in forums.  One day
>> I hope that my mucking about might be able to assist the wider
>> community.  I'm excited that broad comm has released an open source
>> driver, and when I have time I will be swearing at some of my older
>> laptops as I try to make them work on Wifi with Ubuntu and the new
>> driver.
>>
>> As for the problem with the NVidia cards, install the driver :)
>> I am lucky (not that the wife would agree) that I have vast amounts
>> of Graphics cards laying about, so if I do bump up against a problem
>> I will swap out until I find a card that works and use that instead.
>> Failing that I will install FreeNX and just connect remotely and
>> debug/install from a different machine.
>>
>> Obviously using the CD to check if your hardware setup will work is
>> great.  Its a shame you can't do that with Windows... (someone is
>> bound to tell me I'm wrong about that).  I have spent less time
>> chasing down bugs and fixing incompatibles under Ubuntu then I did
>> under XP (or 3.11).  Ubuntu has pushed Linux into the general public
>> view and is almost ready to be a solution for all.  If my
>> Mum/Dad/Wife/Grandparents can get to grips with it then I'm confidant
>> that one day it will give Microsoft/Apple some great competition.
>>
>> Chris
>> Unix Support/Linux Liker/Windows Acceptor
>
> This is what I find unacceptable with Ubuntu, the fact that those in
> the know, always say, we get fed of people not trying. Its not about
> not trying, this guy has just said how he has tried, and cant get his
> Ubuntu to work. Those who know, always seem to be those that stand
> there and say Ubuntu is easy, easier than windows. If it was easy, and
> easier than windows, why did so many people, when the big drive a few
> years back to to have Ubuntu preinstalled, take their computers back.
> I know in places like Dixons and Curries' which is where I bought my
> Netbook, the guys behind the counter told me they got most of them
> back, because people couldnt even get their internet connection to
> work, showds that was a waste of time. So saying, preinstalled Ubuntu
> would make a difference, I think you'll find those that did sell
> preinstalled, would tell you different.
>
> I know my experiences tell me as somebody who isnt a programmer and
> who basically self taught, say it isnt easy, and, help, well, that is
> [...]
Two points - on all three machines that originally came with windows
that I have installed Ubuntu (and other flavours) on, the graphics just
"worked" - I didn't need to tweak anything. I have middle of the road
machines such as might be sold to a business with "ordinary"
commonly-used graphics cards.
Secondly, I would suggest that you cannot compare the "masses"
installing Ubuntu with the "masses" installing Windows - the "masses"
have never HAD to install Windows - it comes (by and large)
pre-installed with all drivers etc etc. Just lurk on the MS forums for a
while and see all the problems THERE with users re- installing Windows
and other software.
Installing Ubuntu IS as easy as installing Windows and a darn sight
faster to get a fully-functioning machine.
Once you have installed Windows you THEN have to install your AV, you
THEN have to install Office (or whatever you use) so that's a good
DOUBLE the time Ubuntu takes....