[ubuntu-uk] Strange connection problem to Router

Gordon Burgess-Parker gbplinux at gmail.com
Mon Oct 18 16:17:23 BST 2010

  On 18/10/2010 16:00, John Stevenson wrote:
> On 18 October 2010 15:25, Gordon Burgess-Parker <gbplinux at gmail.com
> <mailto:gbplinux at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     I have a netgear wireless router which at the moment I am not able
>     to use for wireless so I’m using a patch cable to the ethernet port.
>     My Windows 7 laptop just err connects to the router and I can plug
>     in and unplug at will, BUT, when I plug the cable into my Netbook
>     running 10.04 it fails to connect! It shows the wired connection,
>     but comes up with the “Wired Network disconnected” message. I’ve
>     disabled wireless, but it won’t connect at all!
>     Anyone know why? (I always though that with wired connections you
>     just “plug it in”....)
>

> Hello Gordon,
> Yes, you should just be able to plug the wire in and it just works.
>
> The network manager panel icon now is animated when it is trying to
> get connected using an automatically assigned network address (DHCP).
> The panel icon now uses the same animation for wired and wireless.
>
> It sound like it is failing to get a network address from your
> router.  Here are some things you could try:
>
> 1) Check your router can give out more IP addresses using the web
> based interface on your router - I guess you will have to go into
> Windows for - your DHCP range of addresses should be big enough for
> all your computers and Internet enabled devices.
> 2) Check network manager for your wired setup - right click on the
> network incon in the panel and select "Edit configurations" - check
> the wired tab has an entry and edit that entry to ensure it is
> configured to use DHCP.
> 3) If you know your network settings, use the network manager to
> create a new wired entry and set up a manual network.
>
> If you are unsure of how to use network manager, have a look at page
> 41 onward of the ubuntu-manual <http://ubuntu-manual.org/> for a very
> nice guide to the network manager.
>
> Hope this helps.
> --
> John Stevenson
> Lean Agile Consultant / Coach
> jr0cket.com <http://jr0cket.com>  | leanagilemachine.com
> <http://leanagilemachine.com>

Thanks for the fast reply!
It would appear that the router is not set for DHCP and I can't change
that as the router belongs to the company my wife works for.
I did a "ipconfig /all" command on the Windows laptop, and noticed that
even re-starting the netwirk connection, the IP address didn't change.
So I set the network on the Netbook to static IP and bingo! It connected.
However it then failed to connect to the Update websie, so I expect that
might be a blocked IP address in the network.
Have to wait for the second (private) broadband to be activated on our
other phone line. Seems odd that the Windows machine was able to
automatically detect a static IP address....