[ubuntu-uk] Strange connection problem to Router

Gordon Burgess-Parker gbplinux at gmail.com
Mon Oct 18 15:25:42 BST 2010

I have a netgear wireless router which at the moment I am not able to use for wireless so I’m using a patch cable to the ethernet port.
My Windows 7 laptop just err connects to the router and I can plug in and unplug at will, BUT, when I plug the cable into my Netbook running 10.04 it fails to connect! It shows the wired connection, but comes up with the “Wired Network disconnected” message. I’ve disabled wireless, but it won’t connect at all!
Anyone know why? (I always though that with wired connections you just “plug it in”....)