[ubuntu-uk] Advice on motherboard upgradw ...

Barry Drake bdrake at crosswire.org
Sun Oct 17 17:07:26 BST 2010

On Sun, 2010-10-17 at 15:42 +0100, Rob Beard wrote:
> On 17/10/10 15:29, Barry Drake wrote:
> I'd suggest either Aria or eBuyer.com.  I believe both actually now do
> bundles of either AMD or Intel CPUs.  For around £120 I'd expect you
> could get an Athlon II X2 or Pentium Dual Core.

Thanks for that.

Aria looks very interesting.  Hadn't looked at them before.  eBuyer
seems good, but there are no Intel bundles as such.  Correct me if I'm
wrong, but I've been a bit put off AMD boards because nearly all of them
seem to use Nvidia video and I'm a bit wary after all the reported
driver problems on this list.  Never had any problems myself though.
Someone said on this list that most of the Intel boards work with Ubuntu
'out of the box', and that's got to be an advantage.

I could run to something really 'future proof', but how far do I go
before I'd be better off getting a complete new box?  Less of a problem
if anything goes wrong too.  In the past, I've tended to go for a
motherboard bundle, and then not do any upgrades (even memory) until I
feel an urge to do another motherboard change, or to go out and get a
new box.

Regards,		Barry.
Sent from my Dell Netbook using Ubuntu - the window-free environment
that gives me real fresh air.