[ubuntu-uk] Upgrade woes

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Fri Oct 15 21:27:27 BST 2010

On 15/10/10 21:02, Matthew Daubney wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-10-15 at 20:58 +0100, Rob Beard wrote:
>> On 12/10/10 15:11, Liam Proven wrote:
>>
>>> I did a fresh install on my Thinkpad X31 laptop, which went fine (but
>>> the netbook launcher is comprehensively broken on this hardware).
>>>
>>> You are really putting me off trying the upgrade on my desktop - but
>>> then, I planned to leave it a few weeks for the post-launch updates to
>>> accumulate, anyway...
>>>

>> I'm just doing an upgrade at the moment (disabled any PPA's, changed
>> lucid entries to maverick in sources.list and then ran apt-get update
>> followed by apt-get dist-upgrade).
>>

> Oof, you realise this isn't the supported method for doing this? If
> you're doing a cli upgrade you should use do-release-upgrade as it'll
> pull in some new things and (apparently) does a few other fixes.
>
> -Matt Daubney

Ahh I wasn't aware of that (I knew I should have asked first before
attempting it!).

Oh well it seems to be working okay after a reboot.  I'll probably do a
fresh install from scratch though in a few days as I seem to have filled
my hard drive with lots of junk and it could do with a spring clean
(when I clear the junk off my external USB hard drive).

Rob