[ubuntu-uk] Upgrade woes

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Fri Oct 15 20:58:05 BST 2010

On 12/10/10 15:11, Liam Proven wrote:

> I did a fresh install on my Thinkpad X31 laptop, which went fine (but
> the netbook launcher is comprehensively broken on this hardware).
>
> You are really putting me off trying the upgrade on my desktop - but
> then, I planned to leave it a few weeks for the post-launch updates to
> accumulate, anyway...

I'm just doing an upgrade at the moment (disabled any PPA's, changed
lucid entries to maverick in sources.list and then ran apt-get update
followed by apt-get dist-upgrade).

It froze for a couple of minutes on Grub, it seemed to take at least 2
or 3 minutes to find the kernels, at first I thought it had failed
(there was no disk activity), although I left it and it appears to be
okay, or at least it's finished configuring Grub and it's now asking me
what I want to do with my Samba config file.

I'll report back when I'm done, if all else fails I guess I can
reinstall from a USB stick.

Rob