[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu/Linux is still not an OS for the masses - discuss

Paul Tansom paul at aptanet.com
Thu Oct 14 20:33:27 BST 2010

** Paul Morgan-Roach <roachy at roachy.net> [2010-10-14 18:51]:
> On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 2:32 PM, Paul Tansom <paul at aptanet.com> wrote:
> > Support wise, I can sympathise, although based on experience when asking
> > questions on Windows forums. The first one that comes to mind is Experts
> > Exchange (now a pay site and abandoned), but there have been others.
> <snip>
>
> EE is still a very active site - and probably one of the best IT general
> knowledge support sites out there.  I maintain my free membership by
> answering a couple of questions each month &  I would recommend to any IT
> Pro's/technically savvy users out there that this is a good way to find out
> information when you need it in a hurry (I usually find an answer is
> forthcoming within an hour or 2, if it's not already in the knowledge
> base...
>
> My issue with general forums (particularly the Ubuntu forums due to the
> number of users) is that there are loads of competent users giving good
> advice....but the noise ratio is dire.  EE tends to have a better quality
> response....
>
> It's horses for courses I suppose...but I personally find EE extremely
> helpful in times of crisis :)
** end quote [Paul Morgan-Roach]

That's interesting. Your reply prompted me to go back and take another look and
I could log in. I seem to remember when I last tried I got a message up
insisting that I pay a subscription to do anything on the site. I may visit
again. That said, in spite of joining the site in August 1998 I've only asked 3
questions - two of which have been deleted with no response at all, and the
third has 3 responses; one that wasn't any help, one from me detailing the fix
I found elsewhere, and a final one from the only responder wishing me well! Ho
hum!