[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu/Linux is still not an OS for the masses - discuss

John Matthews jakewc2 at sky.com
Wed Oct 13 16:51:15 BST 2010

On 13/10/10 16:34, Alan Pope wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> You've clearly had problems with Ubuntu, and your problems haven't yet
> been resolved. I can understand the frustration you're feeling.
>
> On 13 October 2010 16:19, John Matthews<jakewc2 at sky.com>  wrote:
>> Yeh, but there you go, for you, its never a problem, so it shouldnt be a
>> problem for anybody else.
> I never said that. I merely have issues with the assertion people are
> making that Ubuntu is fundamentally broken for new users.
>
> I've explained why I think this whole argument is flawed already.
> "Normal" people don't install operating systems, they get techies to
> do that for them.
>
> I'd recommend watching Mark Shuttleworths keynote speech from the last
> Ubuntu Developer Summit because it explains quite well who our current
> market is, and how hard it is for us to leap the chasm to get adopted
> by "normals".
>
> http://popey.blip.tv/file/3601671/
>

>> And as for getting help from Ubuntu, that isnt
>> easy either, if it was, I still wouldnt have problems with my network
>> shares and videos problems.
> Feel free to start a new thread at any one of these wonderful support
> locations:-
>
> http://ubuntuforums.org/
> http://askubuntu.com/
> http://webchat.freenode.net?channels=ubuntu&uio=d4
>
>> I would be able to use my numbers at the
>> side of the keyboard after asking for help. And I wouldnt be
>> continuously reminded that you volunteer for help, and I shouldnt expect
>> it.
> I don't think anyone quite says that. What they might say is "don't
> call me in the middle of the night or send me personal emails" because
> "my time is limited" or "I have a family and don't want to be an
> Ubuntu support person 100% of the time". Maybe they also say "if you
> provide answers to my questions I can help you better", and often I
> see "if you're rude I might choose not to help you".
>
> However if you want guaranteed support there's always:-
>
> http://shop.canonical.com/index.php?cPath=31
>
> Al.

Ah, now where are getting somewhere, where have I ever contacted
somebody off here about my computer in the middle of the night. I know
where that is coming from. It should not even be part of this
discussion. I have asked for help, and been told, what I told you up
there on this e-mail group at least on two occassions. By the same
person. Its also happened to me on #ubuntu-uk. I did go for paid help,
and do you know what happened, I got an pre-written e-mail sending me to
the forums and the e-mail group. I have also had 'get a better machine'
from a certain helper on more that one occasion too from #ubunbtu-uk as
well. My only consolation with said person, is I have seen him tell
quite a few people the same thing, it seems to be his pat answer to
people. Nice help.

That doesnt surprise me really, basically what your saying is, go
somewhere else, we cant be bothered. That brings us right back to what
the OP said at the beginning. There we are.

John

--
Ubuntu User #30817