[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu/Linux is still not an OS for the masses - discuss

John Matthews jakewc2 at sky.com
Wed Oct 13 16:39:24 BST 2010

On 13/10/10 16:35, Paul Jones wrote:

> If you ask me (and I know noone did) there will ALWAYS be as many
> people claiming "it worked perfectly without any configuration at all"
> as there are people who claim "it was a nightmare, I couldnt get it to
> work and I couldnt get any help either" regardless of whether its
> Linux/Windows/ OSX etc. This debate rages in Car/Motorcycle forums as
> well that I'm part of as well with people almost fighting to claim
> each side of the story.
>
> The fact is there will always be good and bad examples of experiences
> with any "product", simple as that. I agree, feeling like you are not
> being helped enough by the Ubuntu community must be very frustrating,
> but considering how much we pay where I work for our Microsoft Volume
> Licensing the amount of help, or should I say lack of help we get from
> MS is shocking. Almost every fix I have ever implemented in my entire
> 15yr IT career has come from forums and word of mouth, or just plain
> old fault finding.
>
> I could name many people who have installed Windows out of the box
> with no issues, whatsoever, and many who have had an absolute
> nightmare. I'm sure the same goes for Ubuntu but in my opinion the
> help and resources for help from Microsoft are no better than for
> Ubuntu/Linux so if you arent getting the answers you need, either you
> need to shout louder, or maybe you are asking in the wrong "forum"
> (not literal).
>
> Paul.

Yeh, but what makes the difference, is the support. It can be a
nightmare, but if there is good support, and its not done in a way that
makes you feel like a idiot or worse, then it doesnt matter if its bad,
if you can get it fixed fine. To be told go else where, if you cant get
on, that really is good support.

That is what makes something worth it or not.

John

--
Ubuntu User #30817